Makes | 4 servings
- 1 8-ounce package of tempeh, grated
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 fresh chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tbs. lime juice
- 2 tbs. tamari soy sauce
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- In a small skillet or pot, combine the tempeh, vegetable broth, pepper and garlic. Simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove tempeh from broth.
- In a separate large skillet, sauté the tempeh in olive oil for two or three minutes. Add the chilies, lime juice, soy sauce and honey, and cook for another two or three minutes. Add basil and lightly brown. This mixture will be the texture of cooked ground meat when browned.
Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson