Makes | six servings (18 croquettes total)
- 1 tbs. coconut oil, plus 2 tbs. reserved for frying croquettes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, grated and rinsed in cold water, and patted dry
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 tbs. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup red quinoa, cooked
- Salsa and sour cream for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet and sauté the grated sweet potato, red bell pepper, jalapeño pepper and yellow onion for about three to five minutes. Add the cumin and coriander.
- Continue to sauté vegetables until they are just cooked. Season with salt.
- Add the black beans and cooked quinoa, then blend a third of this mixture in a food processor until smooth.
- Stir the blended mixture back into the remaining vegetables in the skillet.
- Shape 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time into patties about 1/2-inch thick and 2 inches across.
- Heat the reserved coconut oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat and pan-fry the croquettes for about two minutes on each side.
- Keep croquettes warm in the oven until all are ready to serve.
Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson