Makes six half-pint jars | Cook time 30 minutes, plus 6 hours refrigeration time | Process time 15 minutes
- 5 cups mixed vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, red bell pepper, jalapeños, carrots, celery)
- 2 tbs. canning salt, kosher salt, or pure sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. celery seeds
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. red-pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved lengthwise
- Cut the cauliflower and broccoli in small florets to make about 2 cups. Cut strips of bell pepper about 1 1/2 inches long. Core the jalapeño and slice in rounds. Slice carrots and celery on the diagonal. Measure vegetables to make five packed cups.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt, then stir to mix. Refrigerate for six hours or overnight.
- Mix the mustard seeds, fennel seeds, celery seeds, peppercorns, and thyme in a small bowl, then place a rounded half-teaspoon of the mixture in each jar. If using red-pepper flakes, add a generous pinch to each jar.
- Drain and rinse the vegetables. In a small pot, combine the vinegar, water, and remaining tablespoon of salt and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt.
- Pack the vegetables in the jars. Add half a garlic clove to each jar. Carefully pour the hot brine into the jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Process in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes (see, “Yes, You Can” for canning instructions) or refrigerate without canning and use within a month.