Makes six servings | Prep time 15 minutes | Cook time 45 to 60 minutes plus cooling time for the pumpkin; 35 to 45 minutes plus cooling time for the bread
- 1 3 to 4 lb. pie pumpkin
- 1 cup blanched-almond flour (not almond meal)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbs. pumpkin-pie spice
- 2 tbs. honey
- 1/4 tsp. stevia
- 3 large eggs
- Rinse the pumpkin, cut it in half, and scoop out the seeds. Place it face down in a large baking dish, along with about 1/4 inch of water. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes, or until tender. Allow to cool, then scrape the inner fruit into a glass container to store.
- In a food processor, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin-pie spice. Add 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin, honey, stevia, and eggs, and pulse for two minutes.
- Scoop batter into a mini loaf pan (5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2 1/4 inch). Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes. Cool for one hour, then serve.
- You can roast your pumpkin for this bread up to five days ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake.
Why No Numbers?
Readers sometimes ask us why we don’t publish nutrition information with our recipes. We believe that (barring specific medical advice to the contrary) if you’re eating primarily whole, healthy foods — an array of sustainably raised vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, meats, fish, eggs, whole-kernel grains, and healthy fats and oils — you probably don’t need to stress about the numbers. We prefer to focus on food quality and trust our bodies to tell us what we need. — The Editors