Serves | four
- 1 tbs. ghee or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tbs. minced jalapeño pepper
- 2 tbs. minced gingerroot
- 1 tbs. whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups diced tomato
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- Heat ghee in a large skillet or saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, jalapeño, gingerroot and cumin seeds to the skillet and cook until all vegetables are softened.
- Add the coriander, turmeric and salt, and cook for another couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high, add the diced tomatoes, and cook until the tomatoes are soft and saucy. (Add water as needed, depending on the moisture content of the tomatoes.)
- Add the garbanzo beans and cook to heat through. Add the spinach and stir to wilt.
- Serve with our Cilantro-Mint Chutney.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson