Makes about | 16 small fritters; serves four
- 4 cups grated carrots, packed
- 1/4 cup rice flour, coconut flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbs. grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil for frying
- Toss the carrots with the flour and baking powder. Mix in beaten eggs, gingerroot, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Shape about a tablespoon of the carrot mixture into flat patties and carefully lower into the hot oil. After one to two minutes, gently turn each latke over to brown the other side (about another minute).
- Keep the latkes on a baking sheet in a warm oven while you fry the remaining carrot mixture.
- Garnish with chopped fresh chives and Greek yogurt or sour cream, if you’d like.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson