Makes four servings
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbs. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 6 to 8 baking apples, such as Granny Smith or Haralson, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the almond flour, salt, coconut oil, almond extract, and egg together in a food processor until a smooth dough forms. Shape into a flat circular disc on a piece of wax paper and chill while you prepare the apples.
- Heat the maple syrup in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet and arrange the apple slices to cover the skillet bottom. Cook over medium-low heat until the bottoms of the apples are caramelized and brown. Remove from heat.
- Roll out the almond pastry dough to make a 12-inch circle, place the pastry on top of the apples, and tuck it down the sides of the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 12 to 18 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and place a plate on top of the pastry.
- Carefully flip the pan over onto the plate to invert the apple tart.
- Allow the tart to cool on the plate for at least 20 minutes, cut into wedges, and serve with a scoop of ice cream or a drizzle of yogurt if desired.