A lot of adult members are in their groove with the ways they move, lift, and relax at Life Time — and many families love taking advantage of all the classes, events, and care for younger kids. But what about those tweenagers?
Despite outgrowing some of the kids’ activities and not yet being old enough to join their parents on the fitness floor, there are still plenty of ways for them to engage in their own forms of fun at the club.
These are some of our top picks for active, engaging, and age-appropriate activities for tweens:
1. Athletic training. Have a tween who’s looking to up their sports game? GameFace Sport is designed for 8- to 13-year-olds to learn the fundamentals of movement and increase their confidence and abilities — whether they’re currently on a sports team or not. Young athletes will be guided to focus on proper form while training to get faster and stronger.
2. Kids Studio Classes. Your tween can now experience Studio classes similar to the ones the adults sweat in. Kid-friendly, 30-minute versions of our LifeBarre, SOL yoga, and SHRED classes are now available, with separate class options for kids ages 5 to 8 and 9 to 13.
3. Tween events. Our monthly Tween Takeover events are the perfect way to fit in fun and exercise while meeting new friends. Event activities vary each month, but include options such as balloon foosball, ultimate Frisbee, board games, speed stacking, and other can’t-miss games.
4. Pool party. Improve your swim stroke, work on your water-slide speed, or just splash around in the pool. Family swim and open swim times are available for tweens to participate in swimming contests, pool games, and water workouts. We also offer swim team options for more competitive swimmers.
5. Pickup games. Tweens can challenge friends to a game of one-on-one, around the world, lightning, or one of our other favorite basketball games during open gym time — or improve their court skills by practicing these drills. For serious ballers, our Ultimate Hoops program offers leagues and training options.
6. Tennis time. Learning this lifelong sport can offer both life lessons and health benefits for your tween. Set them and a buddy up for a match on the indoor or outdoor tennis courts. If they’re interested in improving their techniques and skills, consider our SMART tennis programming.
7. Rock climbing. Your tween can climb to new heights on the indoor climbing walls. Clip on with the provided gear and engage with auto-belays during open climb, meet new pals during climb group, or simply enjoy challenging yourself during some adrenaline-filled activity. The walls feature a variety of hand- and foot-hold routes to offer varying levels of climbing difficulty. Or, stay low to the ground and give bouldering a try. This type of climbing requires strength and skill to overcome obstacles and routes just a few feet off the ground.
8. Fresh, new ‘dos. What tween wouldn’t want to go to school, sports practice, or a social get-together in style? Transition into fall with a fresh haircut, and try a deep conditioning treatment to hydrate your tween’s curly hair. Twists and braids are great protective styles, or try a fresh undercut, fringe, blowback, chop, layering bangs, or color add-in. Your tween’s look is sure to be on-trend.
9. Healthy eats. Fuel that growth spurt while nurturing healthy nutrition habits by letting your tween nosh in the LifeCafe — they’ll have no doubt worked up an appetite following all the fun they’ve just had.