We’ll take any reason to extend taco night beyond just Tuesdays. This Tex-Mex spread is perfect for any summer celebration — and equally tasty any time you’re craving fresh, tropical flavors inspired by Mexican fare. Authentic Mexican cooking is all made from scratch, so follow the links to create your own salsa and seasoning blend.
Bonus: You can have these dishes prepared and ready to eat in 30 minutes or less.
Makes two servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 avocados
- 1 tbs. lime juice
- 2 tbs. cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup salsa (try our salsa recipe)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a large bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. If desired, chill for 30 minutes to let flavors blend.
Source: “5-Minute Guacamole” (Life Time Training)
Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
Makes four servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 tbs. coconut oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tbs. reduced sodium taco seasoning (try our seasoning recipe)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely minced
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1–2 avocados, diced
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the cubed chicken in a bowl and add the taco seasoning, mixing until evenly coated. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook through, about seven to eight minutes, stirring occasionally. Set cooked chicken aside.
- Peel the leaves of the butter lettuce from the core. Stack them on a plate.
- In a bowl, mix the tomato, onion, corn, cilantro, black beans, salsa, and lime. Depending on your preference, you can mix in the avocado here, or save it to use as a separate topping.
- On top of two lettuce leaves (for stability), place the chicken and topping mixture.
Source: “Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps” (Life Time 60day Challenge)
Pink Grapefruit Margarita
Makes 2 drinks
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 ½ cups fresh pink grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup Meyer lemon syrup or lime syrup
- 2 grapefruit wedges for garnish
- Alcohol options: Tequila or Cointreau
- In a small pitcher, stir together the grapefruit juice, lime juice, and Meyer lemon syrup; if you’re adding alcohol, include that as well. Pour into two glasses filled with ice, and garnish with a grapefruit wedge.
- If you’d prefer your margarita blended, simply put the grapefruit juice, lime juice, Meyer lemon syrup, and 1 ½ cups of ice in a blend and blend until the ice is crushed.
Source: “Pink Grapefruit Margarita” (Experience Life, 2014)