Makes | 1 cup
- 1 tbs. plus 1/3 cup untoasted sesame oil, divided
- 3-4 medium shiitake mushroom caps, minced, about 1/4 cup
- 1 tbs. tamari
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp. finely minced shallot
- Cayenne pepper to taste, if desired
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Heat a small sauté pan and add 1 tablespoon of the untoasted sesame oil.
- Sauté the shiitake mushroom in the hot oil for about 1 minute, and then remove from heat. Add the tamari and marinate for a few minutes. In a small bowl, add the marinated mushrooms, vinegar, grated ginger, shallot and cayenne pepper; drizzle in the remaining sesame oils (untoasted and toasted).
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Keeps in the refrigerator for about two weeks.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson