Makes about six servings of fries and 1 cup of beet ketchup
Fries preparation time: 25 to 30 minutes
Beet ketchup preparation time: 45 minutes
- 3 large parsnips, about 2 pounds, peeled and cut into large strips, about 3 x 1/2 x 1/2 inches
- 1 tbs. coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary or other fresh herb (optional)
For the Fries:
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brush a large baking sheet with coconut oil, and arrange the parsnips in one layer; be sure to leave space in between the parsnips so they can brown — you may have to bake in batches. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, shaking every 10 minutes or so, until golden brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chopped herbs, and serve hot.
For the Beet Ketchup:
This is a creative and healthy alternative to commercial ketchup, which is usually made with high-fructose corn syrup. Try to make this the day before serving so the flavors can meld.
- Simmer the ingredients together in a small pot for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to the small pot and cook another 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.