Makes four servings
Prep time: 20 minutes, plus time to marinate chicken
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 kabocha squashes, seeded and cut lengthwise into 8 slices each
- 1 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- 1 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 tbs. fresh mint, for garnish
- Place the chicken in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil and the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and turmeric; toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Place the squash and chicken (skin side up) on the baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Bake 40 minutes or until juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted into a thigh reaches 160 degrees F. (The chicken will continue to cook a bit after it’s removed from the oven.) Allow to rest 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and squash to a serving platter and garnish with pomegranate seeds, cilantro, and mint. Serve warm.