Makes: four to six servings
Preparation time: 60 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds grass-fed lamb, cut into 1×1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1×1-inch squares
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 10-12 6-inch skewers
- 1 whole ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head cauliflower, grated
- 1 tbs. olive oil or ghee
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Dried currants and toasted pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and preheat the grill, if using. Lightly oil a baking pan with olive oil or ghee.
- Mix the coriander, cumin, pepper, lemon zest, garlic, and olive oil together in a bowl. Add the cubes of meat (lamb, chicken, pork, etc.) and mix to coat them evenly with the spices. Allow the meat to marinate in the refrigerator while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Grate the cauliflower coarsely in a food processor or with a box grater. Spread the grated cauliflower on the oiled baking sheet and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to brown evenly and allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, thread the lamb and red onion alternately onto the skewers. Season with salt and then grill over a preheated grill or sauté in a hot, lightly oiled pan.
- Grill or sauté to sear on all sides.
- While the meat is grilling, prepare the sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth, adjusting the seasonings to taste. Scrape ingredients down with a rubber spatula to make sure it is smooth.
- When the cauliflower is evenly roasted, mix in the parsley, pine nuts, and currants and season to taste. Check to see if the meat is cooked as you like it and allow it to rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the plates.
- Serve the grilled meat and onion over the roasted cauliflower and serve with the avocado-mint sauce.