Makes: four servings
- 1 tbs. butter
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups mushrooms, washed and sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbs. chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley, or sage
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Over medium-low heat, melt butter and olive oil in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Add the onions and salt, and cook slowly until the onions are golden brown and soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Season with salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Add the eggs, and gently stir to evenly distribute the onions and mushrooms.
- Remove from heat, top with the crumbled goat cheese, and bake in the oven until the eggs are set, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the frittata is fully cooked, allow to cool for five minutes and then cut into wedges and serve.