- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 1/2-in. piece fresh gingerroot, minced (about 2 tbs.)
- 2 whole star-anise pods
- 2 tbs. whole fennel seeds
- 3-in. piece orange or lemon peel
- 6 to 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 bag hibiscus tea
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Simmer all ingredients over low or medium-low heat in a small saucepan for 15 to 20 minutes, until the liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
Allow the mixture to cool, then strain into a bottle or jar.
Serve at room temperature.
Leftovers will keep for a week in the refrigerator.
Suggested spirit: A little brandy or cognac complements this digestif.
Photography by: Andrea D’Agosto; Prop Styling: Alicia Buszczak; Food Stylist: Paul Jackman