Makes four servings
- 2 tbs. coconut oil or ghee, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 can garbanzo beans (15 oz.), drained and rinsed
- 1 jar Indian simmer sauce (11 oz.)
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- ½ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups uncooked brown basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups baby kale or baby spinach
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large heavy saucepan, and sauté the onion until just golden. Add the potatoes and carrots and cook for five minutes, and then stir in the garbanzo beans, sauce and stock. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
For the rice, heat the remaining coconut oil in a saucepan, and sauté the coconut and the rice together until coconut is slightly browned. Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, turn the heat as low as possible, and cook for about 30 minutes.
When the curry is cooked, wilt in the baby kale and stir in raisins. Top with fresh cilantro, and serve with the coconut rice.