Makes | 4 cups
- 4 tbs. kosher salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound quartered or halved Brussels sprouts
- 11/2 tbs. Korean red chili flakes or crushed red chili flakes
- 1 tbs. fish sauce or anchovy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. finely grated ginger
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (green parts only)
- 1/4 cup julienned red bell pepper
- Dissolve the salt in the water; add the Brussels sprouts and soak for 45 minutes. Drain and rinse the sprouts.
- Meanwhile, mix the chili flakes, fish or anchovy sauce, sugar, garlic, and ginger together.
- Toss the mixture with the carrots, green onions, red peppers, and sprouts.
- Tightly pack the vegetables into a 1-quart canning jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Leave at room temperature for 24 hours, shaking the jar occasionally to distribute the marinade.
- Store in the refrigerator and consume within one month.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson