Makes six servings
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbs. unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 tbs. canola oil
- 1 tbs. honey
- 3/4 cup milk
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the blueberries, cinnamon and apple juice. Cook until the blueberries have plumped, four to six minutes.
- Place the blueberries in a bowl and refrigerate to cool down. Into a medium mixing bowl, sift the flours, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks, oil, honey and milk. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the egg mixture. Mix just until moistened.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Fold in the chilled blueberries.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat and coat with oil in spritzer bottle.
- Spoon the batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook until bubbles appear and edges begin to look dry. Turn pancakes over; they will rise and the middles will become light and fluffy. The bottoms should be golden brown.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- To freeze griddle cakes: Make cakes according to recipe, cool on baking rack. Place in single layer in food storage container or large freezer bags separating layers with parchment paper. Reheat frozen grilled cakes in toaster oven.
This recipe was excerpted from “Blueberries” which was published in the July/August 2010 issue of Experience Life magazine.