Yield 4 servings | Prep time 15 to 20 minutes | Cook time 10-15 minutes poaching salmon
- See “How to Poach Salmon“
- 1 cup organic, full-fat, plain yogurt
- 1 tbs. minced fresh dill
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Taste; you may prefer to add another pinch of salt or squeeze of lemon juice. Spoon the yogurt sauce onto your poached salmon fillets and serve.
For the Avocado-Citrus Salad
- 2 tbs. freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbs. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. grated gingerroot
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups loosely packed arugula or mixed greens
- 1/2 cup shaved fennel or celery
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 medium grapefruit or blood orange, peeled and cut into slices
- 1 avocado, sliced
- First make a citrus dressing: In a small bowl, combine the fruit juices, lemon zest, honey, gingerroot, and salt. Whisk together, and slowly pour in the olive oil; continue whisking until smooth. Transfer to a small container with a fitted lid and shake well.
- Place the arugula or mixed greens, fennel or celery, and mint in a large bowl. Drizzle a tablespoon or two of the citrus dressing over the salad and toss to mix and coat.
- Top the salad with the avocado slices and grapefruit or orange segments; drizzle with a little more dressing and a sprinkle of salt.
Why No Numbers?
Readers sometimes ask us why we don’t publish nutrition information with our recipes. We believe that (barring specific medical advice to the contrary) if you’re eating primarily whole, healthy foods — an array of sustainably raised vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, meats, fish, eggs, whole-kernel grains, and healthy fats and oils — you probably don’t need to stress about the numbers. We prefer to focus on food quality and trust our bodies to tell us what we need. — The Editors
This originally appeared as “Poached Salmon With Yogurt-Dill Sauce and Avocado-Citrus Salad” in the May 2018 print issue of Experience Life.