Makes four to six servings
- 1 roasting chicken, about 4 to 5 pounds
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1 tbs. minced gingerroot
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 cups whole Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F and put a large cast-iron pan on the middle rack of the oven. Allow pan to heat in the oven for 30 minutes while you prepare the chicken and vegetables.
- Cut through the skin of the chicken between the thigh and the body so that the thighs splay out.
- Mix the tamari and ginger together and rub the chicken inside and out with the mixture.
- In the hot cast-iron pan, drizzle the olive oil, add the garlic cloves, and place the chicken in the pan, breast side up. Press the chicken thighs into the pan so they sear.
- Return the pan to the oven and roast the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and roast for another 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the Brussels sprouts are tender.