Makes 5 servings | Prep time 15 minutes | Cook time 20 minutes
- 2 cups peeled, diced sweet potatoes
- 2 cups diced beets
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 oz. link sausage of choice (pork, chicken, or veggie) with casing removed, or ground sausage
- 3 cups chopped kale leaves, stems chopped and reserved
- 1/2 large apple, chopped
- 3/4 tsp. dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Place diced vegetables in a steamer basket or colander, and steam over simmering water for about five minutes. Place the steamer in the sink to drain.
- In a large sauté pan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and sauté until browned and cooked through, about eight to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels; cover loosely with foil or a pan lid to keep warm.
- In the same pan, add the steamed vegetable mixture, kale, kale stems, apple, sage, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are browned and the kale is softened, about five minutes.
- Serve hash with crumbled sausage on top, or let cool and refrigerate individual servings.