Makes six to eight appetizer servings | Preparation time 1 hour
- 2 tbs. sunflower-seed oil or other high-heat oil
- 1 lb. lamb ribs, cut into 2-rib pieces
- 2 tbs. sunflower seed oil or other high-heat oil
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, green and white parts
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, diced
- 1 tbs. minced gingerroot
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2 dried hot chilies
- 1/2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
- 6 tbs. tamari
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup mirin or sake
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet, wok, or Dutch oven over high heat.
- Sear the lamb ribs all over and then add the scallions, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, and hot chilies. Stir-fry the lamb ribs with the vegetables for five minutes.
- Combine the five-spice powder, tamari, maple syrup, and mirin, and add to the skillet. Stir to deglaze the pan, and then turn heat to low.
- Cover and let simmer for about 35 to 45 minutes, until meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- Transfer ribs to a serving platter, and skim off as much excess fat as you can from the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce, uncovered, for five more minutes to thicken a bit.
- Pour over the ribs and serve. Top with chopped fresh green onions if desired.
Food Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson