Makes 1 cup | Preparation time 10 minutes
- 2 raw egg yolks, at room temperature
- ½ tsp. coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- ½ tsp. mustard powder or Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbs. white-wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Place the egg yolks in a blender or mini food processor. (Because this recipe makes only 1 cup, a full-size food processor may be too big to aerate the eggs properly.) You can also whisk the mixture by hand.
- Process or whisk the egg yolks until they are light yellow and frothy.
- Add the salt, mustard powder, lemon juice, and vinegar and process or whisk until blended.
- With the motor running (or whisking vigorously), slowly drizzle in the oil in a light, steady stream. The mixture will thicken as the oil emulsifies, but don’t stop until you have added the entire cup of oil.
- When all the oil is blended, stop the motor (or take a whisking break), open the bowl, and taste.
- Add more salt and sugar, if desired.
- Serve after one hour or refrigerate for up to three days.
- Chipotle Mayonnaise: Add 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from a jar of chipotles en adobo to the finished mayonnaise. You get all the flavor without all the heat.
- Curry Mayonnaise: Add 2 teaspoons mild curry powder when you add the mustard powder at the beginning of the recipe.
- Harissa Mayonnaise: Harissa is a North African condiment made from hot chilies. You can find it online or in specialty stores. Add 1 tablespoon harissa to your finished mayonnaise and stir to combine. It makes a great spread for turkey and Havarti cheese sandwiches.
- Herbed Mayonnaise: Mince and combine 1 tablespoon each to finished mayonnaise: parsley, chives, tarragon, red bell pepper, and hard-boiled egg (optional). Add 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, and stir until well blended. (Pictured above)
- Piquant Mayonnaise: Add 1 teaspoon grated onion to the finished mayonnaise.
- Tarragon Mayonnaise: Substitute tarragon vinegar for white-wine vinegar and add 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon to the finished mayonnaise.