Makes 4 servings
- 2 tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar and salt. Add the pepper and slowly whisk in the oil. Taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt or vinegar, if needed.
- Store in a jar with a tight lid and shake well before using.
For a Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard and 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic; blend well.
For a Basil Garlic Vinaigrette: Replace infused basil oil for olive oil and add 1 tablespoon minced shallots; blend well.
Basil oil is bright, fragrant and simply delicious. Use it to brighten up the flavor and appearance of a host of dishes, such as flatbreads, grilled fish, roast chicken, grilled vegetables, puréed eggplant or fried eggs.
Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 2 cups packed basil leaves, washed, stems removed
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Blanch basil leaves in boiling water for four to five seconds. Remove and immediately plunge into an ice bath to cool.
- Remove from water and squeeze excess water out of basil.
- Place blanched basil leaves into blender bowl with minced garlic, salt and ¼ cup of oil and blend at low speed until smooth.
- Slowly add remaining olive oil in a thin stream and increase blender speed to medium high. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds.
- Serve as a purée or as clear oil by straining basil oil through a cheesecloth to remove all basil particles.
- Store in refrigerator up to one week.