Makes | 10 servings
- 1 cup black beluga lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 tbs. garam masala curry powder
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup mandarin oranges, cut in half
- 2 tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- Bring the lentils, curry powder and stock to boil in a medium saucepan, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils are al dente. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
- Stir quinoa in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until dry and light brown. Add onion, carrot and bell pepper and cook one minute. Add vegetable stock, bring to boil, turn heat to simmer and cover until all the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, gently toss the cooked lentils and quinoa with the oranges, mint, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson