Makes | 4 servings
For the Tempeh Filling
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 14-ounce package of tempeh, crumbled
- 1 tsp. ground chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup tomato juice
Other Taco Makings
- 8 corn tortillas
- Shredded cabbage
- Diced tomato
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced radishes
- Salsa, cilantro, other toppings
- Shredded cheddar or crumbled Queso Fresco cheese
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for about two minutes. Add the tempeh, chili powder and cumin. Cook until the tempeh has started to brown, about three minutes.
- Add the tomato juice and simmer for about five minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat tortillas wrapped in foil in a 300-degree oven for about five minutes to soften (this makes them easier to fold without cracking). Place a couple of tablespoons of the tempeh onto each tortilla.
- Top with remaining ingredients of your choice. Fold tortilla, and enjoy!
Photography by: Terry Brennan; Food Styling by: Betsy Nelson