You love group fitness classes, especially your strength session on Tuesdays and Thursdays; it’s been a staple in your routine for months. Or perhaps attending a Saturday morning yoga class is a weekly ritual with friends that you look forward to — though the rest of the week is a hodge-podge of random workouts. Or maybe you’ve never taken a studio class and are looking for a way to balance your lifting-heavy regimen with some heart-pumping cardio.
Whatever your motivations or fitness goals, the key to continual progress — and injury prevention — in any exercise program is mixing things up and having fun in the process.
To help you make the most of the classes at Life Time while maintaining a well-rounded routine that supports your efforts to move and feel your best every day, we put together this sample weekly schedule that balances cardio, strength, and recovery. “Just like you balance what you eat, your body and mind also benefit from variety,” says Jessica Feldman, a certified group fitness instructor and the group fitness marketing manager at Life Time.
“Personally, I tend to be a creature of habit, but I love to mix things up when it comes to my fitness. I lose motivation quickly when I do the same thing every day — but when I have options, I easily stay committed.”
- Sunday: Recovery
- Monday: Cardio
- Tuesday: Strength
- Wednesday: Recovery
- Thursday: Strength
- Friday: Cardio
- Saturday: Cardio
With more than 20 signature classes to choose from, you can vary your routine from week to week, and discover new options that push you outside your comfort zone and challenge your current level of fitness. (Feeling intimidated? Give these formats a test run at home by taking them as an on-demand classes so you know what to expect when you head to the club.)
“No matter what you are looking for, Life Time has something for everyone,” Feldman says. “You can find mindful meditation in BE or feel like part of fight club in STRIKE — and everything in between. They’re all included in your membership, so your only three tasks are to make a reservation, show up, and have fun!”
As you start planning your routine for the coming weeks, mix and match from the following categories. Be sure to check your club’s schedule for class days and times, as offerings vary from club to club.
- PWR: Join cyclists and endurance athletes in this class designed to strengthen your training routine.
- EDG: Push your limits in this cycling class that combines high energy and high effort with performance-focused technology — whether you’re a first-time indoor cyclist or a seasoned athlete.
- AMP: Let your endorphins run wild in this fun, all-levels cycle class set to the beat of great music.
- STRIKE: Pack a punch with fast-paced intervals of choreographed martial arts and kickboxing moves that tone and condition the entire body.
- FIRE HIIT: Experience a blend of intense anaerobic exercise and yoga recovery periods in this innovative class.
- MAXOUT Lower Body: Target and strengthen the muscles in and around your legs and glutes; a little cardio throughout challenges your aerobic capacity.
- SOL Guided Vinyasa: Elevate your yoga practice as you move in and out of a wide range of poses in this dynamic vinyasa format.
- LIFT Barbell Strength: Learn the basics movements of strength training, including proper form, in this foundational class.
- Life BARRE: Increase your strength, improve your stability, and build long, lean, and toned muscles with dance-inspired moves and light weights.
If the cardio or strength options don’t appeal to you or a class isn’t available at your club, consider a format from this category instead. On strength days, opt for heavier weights and do cardio at about 75 percent; on cardio days, go lighter on the weights and all out in the high-intensity portions of the class.
- XTREME: Challenge yourself in this intense total conditioning strength and cardio class.
- Warrior Sculpt: Combine traditional yoga moves with high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and dumbbells for a flow that will leave you feeling strong.
- AMP Sculpt: Feel your energy rise as you pedal to the beat and move through choreographed cardio and upper-body sculpting moves.
- EDG Sculpt: Move to a soundtrack of motivating music in this class that combines HIIT, strength-training segments, and performance-focused technology.
- FLOW: Build physical and mental strength as you flow through a dance-like series of yoga poses, drawing on your breath as your inner source of power.
- MAXOUT Upper Body: Shred your arms, chest, and back during this guided upper-body workout.
- XTREME Kettlebell: Improve your athletic performance and strengthen your body using only a kettlebell and your own body weight.
- SURRENDER YIN: Breathe into the ever-changing sensations that arise in long-held poses in this yin-yoga practice designed to mindfully stress your body’s connective tissues.
- ROOT HATHA: Tune in to your body and breath as you learn to mindfully engage your muscles to support your body with integrity in this fundamentals class.