As of January 1, 2013, I re-committed myself to a “Life Unprocessed.” With that, I have found myself feeling better than I have in probably my whole life. I am cooking even more than before. I am truly discovering all the beauty that is created from the moment I get an idea in my head to that moment when the creation touches my lips.
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Pink and red are not even favorite colors, but this dish was so beautiful and absolutely delightful that I can’t help but adore what the pink and red combination brought to my life.
It is my hope that this meal is as much a Valentine’s Day table “decoration” as it is a brilliant, unprocessed meal for you and your loved ones.
Wild Salmon, Roasted Beets & Apples on a Bed of Greens with Homemade Apple-Spiced Vinaigrette
Ingredients: main meal
- 3 whole beets, trimmed and sliced
- 2 apples, cored and sliced
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 bunch swiss chard
- 3 heaping cups baby spinach
- 2 pieces wild salmon
- olive oil, 5 tbsp.
- apple cider vinegar, 1.5 tbsp.
- cinnamon, 1/4 tsp.
- clove, 1
- sea salt, 1/8 tsp.
- nutmeg, 1/4 tsp.
- raw honey, 1 tbsp.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Trim and slice beets.
- Core and slice apples.
- Place beets and apples in a roasting pan. Brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and stir. Bake for another 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and stir. Bake for a final 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by blending all ingredients together in a blender. Set in the fridge until meal is complete.
- Next, chop up and place kale, swiss chard and spinach in a stir fry pan with olive oil and saute.
- Once the beets and apples are done roasting, broil the salmon for 8-10 minutes on low.
- Finally, layer your plate (or bowl) as such: bed of greens, topped with roasted beets and apples, topped with wild salmon and smothered with the apple-spiced vinaigrette.
Sarah Kay Hoffman is a blogger and “Chief Gutsy” at A Gutsy Girl Health Coaching.